My school year with the kiddos is officially over. I thought I'd feel relief because teaching is exhausting but I'm actually mostly sad. At the last day of after school yesterday I was shocked when the third grade boys all burst into tears. These tough kids who like to play fight and actually fight at every recess were all sitting at a table crying and consoling each other. One of my fifth graders asked me how I could leave them all alone as if me not returning were a complete abandonment and I guess I've felt that, like I'm betraying my seventeen little humans with their complicated emotions and thirty-second full range swings from euphoria to despair. But they've swayed my heart a bit, after two years with the AS program I'm still considering education as a future pursuit.
Today was Wolfe Fest and it was amazing to see the impact a community school makes. From parents demonstrating their newly developed English skills to their kids demonstrating the Spanish literacy they're learning/retaining and the kids performing from their community theater class to their mad dance skills and the food from several of the kids parents' restaurants to the PTO and 100s of snowballs served up by mwah-- it was the neighborhood together.
Mostly today I just feel bursting with pride and affection for this school and my little kiddos so I am posting this video to brag a little.
No comments:
Post a Comment