September 4th was a crazy day in my life. I arrived home from a 72 hour train ride to surprise my mama -- which included 1) a phone conversation with Claire in DC that went like: "I'm on 1st and Constitution now, where are you? ... Wait you're on First street now, too?... Is that building to your left and behind you now? ... what can you see?" whilst pulling my suitcase around and holding my pillow. 2) Parking behind my front yard bushes, running through the backyard ducking beneath the bushes, opening the back door without drawing the attention of our usually alert dogs, and sneaking up the kitchen stairs. 3) My mother screaming and waving her hands frantically while simultaneously recognizing me and shouting, "Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Maggie." Quite worth it.
This scene was shortly followed by me screaming frantically and dancing around the kitchen between moments of running back to the computer screen to make sure I was reading real words-- my reaction to being accepted as a Glimpse correspondent. (I thought the decisions had been announced in mid-August so a few weeks earlier I'd thought the opportunity had passed and had been chastising myself for how I could've done a better application. Ha!)
Glimpse is supported by the Matador Network. It features stories by young people
living abroad and their company's mission: "We
envision a world in which all young people go abroad, seek out
meaningful cultural experiences, and share their stories with peers. We
believe that powerful stories will inspire new generations to engage
with people from other cultures and to be responsible global citizens." I'll get to work with a professional editor, take Matador Univ. travel journalism class, and publish my stories from abroad.
I am (needless to say) extremely excited and nervous and feel incredibly blessed. I'll be heading to Guatemala at the end of September where I'll begin my Spanish immersion program and writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment