Today I was excited to go to my first meet-kindred-spirits in Baltimore activity... a feminist reading group. After taking the metro, I arrived worried that I was 10min late and for some reason it was canceled this week. So feeling disappointed, I tried to get directions to a support Bradley Manning event and failed. (I always feel that any attempt at bravery should be met by an equal force of the universe extending goodwill to you, really!) But instead, I got back on the subway, and met a young man who gave me a tract/witnessed to me, then told me about how he was thinking of leaving his church because they support women in leadership and he wants to follow the true gospel. I felt like screaming, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? and ranting about patriarchy. It seems so typical, boring, and infuriating that I have to hear these perspectives & be told that God and Biblical authority support his view.
It upsets me that his sincerity, as a new and excited Christian, is warped by
culture and main stream Christianity to support oppression and sexism. It was the type of interaction that represents why I feel uncomfortable in church, why two weeks ago I wanted to write a letter about inclusive language to my church pastors. Because too many people grow up with this idea that God is male and that God wants males to be overseeing women. The young man expressed genuine belief that women are equal but "different", that they might even have more wisdom, it's just not God's way for them to be in authority. (bah!)
We
ended up riding the metro together while I tried to listen, encourage
him to consider other perspectives and asked questions, and wondered how to be authentic in
the interchange --and it was actually a good interaction.
I've been letting myself feel angry lately, sitting with it and I think this is a good place to be in and explore it.
Now I am going to watch something fierce and eat chocolate.
Consider that the young man was willing to listen. Maybe you have planted a few ideas in his heart/mind (in buddhism it is the same ) that will lead him to doubt. Great doubt can lead to great awakening (another buddhist idea).
ReplyDeleteI thought of you & doubt and books you suggested while I was talking to him. Thank you for being a listener & planter.
Delete