I am going so stir-crazy and its horrible because the more time I am at
home just reading articles & books & watching shows-- the less I
feel able to socialize or the will to do anything. I find myself
wishing to throw myself into drama just to have a mobilizing factor.
Sometimes I think we fall in love to escape our own boredom, to invent a
story line for ourselves-- not that that lessens love, if just seems
like we spend so much time waiting for something in our lives to be
consuming, to matter. Does that make sense? For some people its
religion, or a lover, or a cause. I guess we all want meaning in our
life and sometimes it falls back into a just sort of existing state. I
am not sure what I need to create in Baltimore, it freaks me out that I
committed to staying here till next August. 14 months. What gives my
life meaning here-- eventually I'll be working and giving a lot of time
and energy to that... but, I don't want what I am doing to be the only
defining thing. Yesterday I was at the library and this lady started
talking to me-- just the smallest conversation but I could tell she
wanted to talk to someone and it made me feel more alive too, to have a
genuine interaction even though it wasn't deep, it was just kindness,
just noticing another human being's significance in front of me. Lately
in this funk I've been irritable towards my family and feeling less and
less like talking to anyone- it seems energy consuming to create
friendships... yet, I know that what gives me meaning is connection to
others. It is so hard to keep seeing something worth exploring in any
human that crosses my path. It's so easy to reduce people to an idea and
dismiss them thinking I don't like that idea or "they won't get me" ...
I want to be a person who lives with wide open arms, that welcomes in
the stranger & the person I assume I will not like or be known by
and learn how to dismantle myself for them, to see them, ask them
questions. I am so miserable at that so often. I think that is a reason I
have been missing Dorothy's Place (the day shelter) so much lately...
because I was forced to connect to people I would never have imagined a
connection too- forced to connect not over my ideals, politics, or
fatih-- but just over being there, being present in that small crowded room, together, and knowing I was meeting another human- "a self that touches all edges."
No comments:
Post a Comment